Project A: Town Centre and regeneration of Leyland Market
The Town Centre Transformation project - regeneration and Leyland Market
Through the Town Investment Plan the aim is to transform Leyland Town Centre creating a new vibrant heart to the town and the creation of two new public spaces for Leyland as a new focus for people and events:
- The Market Square -a civic space that will provide a new focal point within the town centre interfacing with the new Leyland Market and BASE2 business hub projects.
- A Church Place - a new green space just off Hough Lane.
The proposals also create:
- Public realm improvements including: shared spaces, shop forecourts, outdoor seating, wayfinding and tree planting
- Commercial development opportunities including commercial units for food and drink and town centre living.
Upgraded and new sustainable connectivity including: new pedestrian and cycle access from the north; car parking upgrades and provision of electric charging points and cycle parking.
- improved walking and cycling facilities
- improved access to strategic employment and leisure hub development sites, unlocking potential developments
As part of Leyland's market's regeneration, we propose to make improvements both inside and out.
With the funding we will refurbish the interior of the market building, updating the branding/signage for the existing stalls and upgrading the central stalls.
We also propose to invest in the existing market hall structure, using the funding to retain the internal historic building structure (formerly a Leyland Motors building), and replace the long-term problematic roof with a new sustainable structure, ensuring that this building is fit for its long-term future and embracing innovation.
In addition to this we propose to expand the market facility creating new external stalls to wrap the market building and have a direct relationship to a new market square. The servicing area for the market will be relocated to accommodate this.